14 Responses to “Testing VideoPress HD”

1. M Viracca July 6, 2009 at 11:09 am #

Hi Phil,
    You probably know this already but I found the video smooth with HD off but with HD on it became incredibly jerky, even if I allowed the whole thing to download before playing. Also, the full screen option didn’t work at either resolution, but you might have disabled it, I don’t know.

On a separate issue, I recently found out that you can’t watch vimeo on the iPhone because of flash and vimeo don’t seem to have the time/resources/inclination to do something about it at the moment. Bummer, back to YouTube then.

Kind regards from the UK.

2. Philip July 7, 2009 at 11:20 am #

We are continuing to test systems for video and yes the one here is a little jerky.
    Trying to find a file that will play both here in HD and be made available as the video podcast file for AppleTV and similar devices.
    YouTube has a deal with Apple and they supply a file that is H.264 to an iPhone.

3. Michael Pick July 9, 2009 at 3:50 pm #

Hi Phil

Thanks for taking a look at VideoPress!

You probably know this, but just in case – you can directly download your converted VideoPress videos in iTunes friendly h.264 mp4 format via your blog’s RSS feed. Adding /feed after the URL of your blog and dumping that in a feed reader, iTunes, Miro or any other podcatcher will give you the option to download and view the files (or offer this option to your audience). We’re running tests of our own at the moment for iPhone/iPod compatibility, and we’re planning to include a direct download from the player in a future iteration.

I’m getting buttery-smooth playback on the HD version, but my editing machine is pretty high spec. We do use some rather high bitrates, and as we gather feedback from users these might need adjusting to ensure that the majority of people get good quality playback. On the subject of frame rates – our tech folks assure me that we don’t do any frame rate shuffling in the transcoding process – if you upload 30fps footage, you should be getting 30fps mp4.

On another note, I’m also experiencing the full-screen bug here – if you’d like to get in touch, we’d be happy to help you resolve that.

Thanks for sharing your findings – we’re looking forward to further feedback!

Best,

Michael Pick,
    Automattic.

PS – Great 5D2 footage! I just shot a bunch of interviews with one myself, looking forward to uploading those soon

4. Philip July 9, 2009 at 4:03 pm #

Thanks for that Michael,
    I am currently sorting through all the options to allow the video you provide back as an enclosure inside an iTunes feed as well as other feed readers.
    The full screen bug comes and goes and is different on different browsers.
    I will keep an eye on it and see if it is a plugin issue or something.
    Still early days with this but persistence is a virtue.

5. Philip July 9, 2009 at 4:33 pm #

Found the full screen bug,

For some reason WordPress changed the embed code.

to this:

object style="width: 560px; height: 316px;" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="560" height="316" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0">embed style="width: 560px; height: 316px;" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="316" src="http://v.wordpress.com/ePzgOF7J" quality="best">

From this

embed src="http://v.wordpress.com/ePzgOF7J" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="316" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

Full screen button now works but I suspect it is looking at the edit post page in visual mode that causes the change in code.
    This is close to the code but the best I could paste as it kept showing the video rather than a code example.

6. Cameron July 9, 2009 at 11:21 pm #

HD works smoothly for me on the imac Phil. Not sure if it would do the same on the old Powerbook (I doubt it, but when I get the chance I will check). Full screen also works as well but I suspect that is probably because you fixed the embed code! Nice that the VideoPress people/person took the time to comment here too! If iPhone compatibility could be included in the whole VideoPress package at some stage in the future that would be great.
    In other news I think I am gradually shaking off my swine flu…oink!

7. Michael Pick July 9, 2009 at 11:22 pm #

Wow, thanks for sharing your findings here – I’m passing this along so we can get this resolved.

We’re also working on making the iTunes process as painless as possible – so far we’ve had better luck with the Open Source Miro platform, but getting iTunes working smoothly is a top priority.

Thanks again!

8. Philip July 10, 2009 at 9:20 am #

I would like to work out what the videopress plugin for WordPress is used for.
    Seems that it is a little superfluous when I still have to post to a wordpress.com site.
    Perhaps I will sort this out with Michael one day.

9. Cameron July 10, 2009 at 8:05 pm #

mmm – my avatar didn’t show up on the last comment, I’m sure it has in the past here. Perhaps I used a different email addy? (yes I’m bored)
    Keep up the great work Philip.

10. Joseph Scott July 11, 2009 at 2:48 am #

The VideoPress plugin allows you easily manage videos hosted on a WordPress.com blog with the VideoPress upgrade from within your WordPress.org blog.

This basically means that it uses WordPress.com+VideoPress to host the videos, but you can manage them without ever having to leave your WordPress.org blog.

11. Philip July 11, 2009 at 9:30 am #

Can I manage video from the photogeek.tv blog?
    It looks like that is not part of the function of the Videopress plugin, unlike the Revver plugin which allows me to upload to Revver and embed.

12. Hailin Wu July 11, 2009 at 9:42 am #

The code “object style=”width: 560px; height: 316px …” represents an alternative way to embed video, and it is used on WordPress.com blogs. On the video player, you will get “<embed .." which is more concise. Either way should be ok, and it is not a bug.

The HD plays well here: Firefox 3.0.11/Vista, and Firefox 3.5/Vista. I have high speed network and a fast CPU.

HD is best for full screen mode. Otherwise, if you click HD without going to full screen mode, the player will download the HD version (1280×720) and condense it to be displayed on 560×316 window. As a result, you won’t really notice the quality difference because it’s constrained by the small dimension.

The best embed dimensions for your current video is 640×360, or make the width at least 600, so that it will pick up the DVD version. Currently, it loads the 400×225 version and scales it up to 560×316 for display.

13. Philip July 11, 2009 at 10:06 am #

The problem was that with the “object style=” ….. the click to open in full screen button did not work. A bug somewhere, perhaps here rather than with the video itself.

Thanks for the embed suggestion I wondered why I was getting a 400x 225 version. All I need now is a page design that will show 640×360 video.
    Mmmmm less room for ads. Not that anyone is clicking on them.

I will work on that however.

14. Philip July 11, 2009 at 11:11 am #

OK.
    I have altered the whole site design to make it 20 px wider at 960 px. Now there is room (with some CSS juggling) to embed a video of 601 px.
    This now pulls the DVD version of the file and looks way better as standard def in the browser.
    Thanks for the advice Hailin, we are getting there slowly.